Breakfast Stratas are essentially a savory bread pudding. It’s the perfect way to use up all of your stale bread and any other fixings you may have tucked away in the corner of your fridge. And since the custard base needs time to soak up in all the nooks and crannies of the bread, it’s the ideal thing to prep the night before only to be thrown in the oven while you’re getting ready in the morning.
This time around, I chose to use sauteed kale and combination of cheeses to flavor the strata and of course– bacon. Because the smell of bacon is the sure fire trick to motivate people out of bed in the morning! I also tossed in some leftover diced potatoes because I like the texture and body it gives to the dish. But if you prefer to use bread only, feel free to leave it out.
Added bonus? This Kale, Bacon and Cheese Strata is such a stunner, you can definitely serve it up at a brunch gathering alongside fresh fruit, juices, coffee and mimosas. Guaranteed hit!
- 1/2 lb bacon slices, diced
- 1 c white onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 c kale leaves, torn
- 5 c day-old bread, cubed
- 2 c potatoes, diced and cooked
- 5 oz Fontina cheese, sliced
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 5 Davidson’s Safest Choice® pasteurized egg(s)
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chives, chopped
- In large skillet over medium-low heat, slowly sauté bacon until it becomes crispy and fat has rendered out—about 5-6 minutes. Use slotted spoon and transfer bacon bits to plate covered with paper towels. Reserve two tablespoons of bacon drippings in pan and discard the rest.
- Sauté onions over medium heat in bacon drippings until translucent. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and kale. Stir and cook until kale becomes soft and tender. Remove skillet from heat and allow contents to cool to room temperature.
- Spray a 9×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place half of the bread and potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the dish. Top with half of the kale mixture and sprinkle half of the crispy bacon over it. Cover layer with half of the cheeses. Repeat layering with remaining bread, potatoes, kale mixture, and cheeses.
- Whisk eggs, milk, thyme, nutmeg, kosher salt, and black pepper in large bowl. Pour evenly over strata. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Pull dish out of the refrigerator 15 minutes before ready to bake. Once ready, bake uncovered for approximately 50 minutes or until strata has cooked through and is puffed and golden brown. Allow strata to set for 5 minutes before sprinkling with chives and serving.
The Culinary Chronicles and all Photography by Nam Nguyen are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Full Credit at The Culinary Chronicles